HOW DO I INCREASE FUEL EFFICIENCY?
Gasoline prices continue to rise and fall, but they don't seem to fall as much as we'd like them to. There are many ways that new or used vehicle owners can improve overall fuel economy by as much as 20%.
THE FIRST THING THAT AFFECTS FUEL ECONOMY IS HOW YOU DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE...
- PLAN YOUR TRIPS - Try to accomplish multiple things in one trip. You can also try to car pool or walk to your destination. This won't decrease fuel consumption but will help you drive less, which means less gas.
- DO NOT SPEED - If you are on the highway driving 100 kms/hour instead of 112 kms/hour, it will save you 2.5-4.5 MPG over the duration of your trip. Try using your cruise control as it reduces fuel consumption by maintaining a constant speed.
- THROTTLE LESS - Accelerate and brake with ease. You will save on fuel as well as wear and tear on your brakes.
- DON'T WARM UP - Thanks to new technology, most modern vehicles only really need 30 seconds to get warm.
- WINDOWS UP - Having the windows down on the highway can decrease fuel economy by up to 10%.
THE OTHER MAJOR ITEMS THAT AFFECT FUEL ECONOMY IS THE MAINTENANCE OF YOUR VEHICLE...
- OIL - Use only the manufacturer's specified motor oil, and change it per factory recommendations.
- WEIGHT - The less weight in your vehicle the better fuel economy you'll get. An extra 100 pounds increases fuel economy by 1 to 2 percent.
- TIRES - Make sure your tires are set to recommended pressure at all times as this can increase fuel economy by as much as 3.3 percent.
- FILTERS - A clean air filter and fuel filter will allow the air and fuel to flow unencumbered and can help you save up to 10% on fuel costs.
- SENSORS - The oxygen sensors, engine emissions system, and evaporative emissions control systems can all decrease fuel mileage by 20 percent or more if damaged.
- GAS - The owner's manual will list the correct octane gasoline you should use for your vehicle. Purchase recommended grade of fuel as premium grade fuel won't improve fuel economy in vehicles designed for regular octane.
If you take care of your vehicle, it will take care of you. Is it time to schedule your vehicle for regular maintenance? Would you like your vehicle checked prior to making that weekend trip? If so, please feel free to contact our Service Department, and our Certified Technicians will be happy to help.