HOW do i check the transmission fluid?
Checking the Transmission Fluid in your vehicle is a relatively simple procedure and should be done about once per month. To get the most accurate reading, you should check the transmission with the engine running and properly warmed up on a level surface.
- First, remove the dipstick from under the hood (if you are unsure as to where it is located, check your owner's manual).
- The handle is usually a bright colour (generally yellow or red).
- Remove the stick, wipe it clean, replace, and then remove it again.
- There are labels for "Warm" and "Cold" - Check the warm readings.
- If it is not full, slowly fill the fluid up a little at a time, and continue to measure with the dipstick.
- To fill the fluid, you should use a funnel and pour it into the hole where you pulled the dipstick from. After filling, replace the dipstick, and after a few moments remove to confirm that it has been done correctly.
When checking your Transmission Fluid be sure to check its colour. Transmission Fluid is a pinkish/red colour. If your fluid is brown that is a sign that there may be something wrong with the vehicle. If this is the case, schedule a service appointment, where our experienced technicians are more than happy to help.